Last week I shared some of our master bathroom inspiration which consisted of natural oak, slate tile, crisp whites and black accents. Isn’t if funny how oak has come back into home trends since the 90’s. This time it’s been toned and muted to blend and bring out its natural grain instead of applying dramatic tinted furniture lacquer and/or high gloss stains- thank goodness for that!
For starters…oh my gosh, it’s September!! As much as I love summer, I’m stoked to welcome back school and get our lives back into routine again. Fall has so much to look forward too such as the famous PSL, cozy knits, comfort foods and lots of nature’s pretty colours. With fall here, we are still trucking along in the house building department. Right now we are focusing on getting our roof on and the windows in, hopefully both of these will be checked off our list by next week. I’ll keep y’all posted! After we have the house sealed in, all of the interior stuff starts to unravel!
Wow! Our house is starting to look like a house!
It feels like the framing has been happening for a while now, but I must say that this has been the most exciting part of the build so far. And of course it’s only going to get more exciting once the exterior finishes start to complete the outside walls and the interior finishes advance further. With the house changing and us beginning to feel even more invested in the build, our feelings have been too.
Early on in the beginning stages of planning #TheGreyHouseBuild, we sat down with Laverne, Marlin and Brenna from Woodland Horizon.
Brent and I both had an idea of whom Woodland Horizon were as some friends had used Woodland to design and build cabinetry for their own homes and businesses. From what we had heard and seen, we were impressed at how beautiful their product portrayed and we wanted to know more about them.
It feels like we’ve been planning our home for quite a while now. Building it ourselves meant that Brent, his dad and I have had our own parts in a lot of the planning and organizing. Brent’s dad, Ron is the general on the job, therefore he’s been such a blessing in all of this. When it comes to meeting the trades and going over our plans with a building perspective (something neither Brent nor I have any idea about) and scheduling the trades, Ron’s there to ask all the right questions and to equipped the trades with the answers Brent and I do not know. He’s also the guy on the job site, giving a helping hand and making sure everything is running smoothly and cleaning up at the end of the day. Without him, we couldn’t do this!
- As the days are getting longer and the sun warmer and brighter, this classic baseball cap by GIGI PIP has been my go-to! And if you’re like me who gets greasy hair literally the day after a wash, a classic baseball cap is your BFF.
- Well, I may not own a pair yet but I’m currently obsessed with overalls… and folks, they’re not just for kids anymore 😉 Check out this pair from H&M which is also available in a kids version, here, so you and your mini can be #twinning!
- A good pair of leather flats can go for miles, just like these brown cutout flats which are a great transition from spring to summer!
- I have a slight obsession with dark walls and this deep yet calming board and batten wall is something I’m imaging in #TheGreyHouseBuild’s office! Even the flooring is a YES…
- These seek and modern Cb2 blox charcoal planters are what I imagine our flowers and shrubs to be sitting in once we conquer our backyard goals (hint: that won’t be for a looooong time) but I can always dream, right!?
- So I have been a big fan of Sudio Sweden Regent headphones for a while because 1. they are wireless and compatible with all bluetooth devices 2. perfect for working out with 24+ hours of continuous playtime 3. SO comfortable and the sound on them is immaculate! If you would like a pair, here’s a code to receive 15% off: littledekonings
- I havee never tried self-adhesive wallpaper before though this minimal tropical mural looks like something I would love to dress up a wall with! Plus, my friend Autumn is no stranger to using it- you can check out her killer basement apartment kitchen reno here… can you spot the peel and stick grey brick!?
- Light fixtures have been on my mind lately, probably because we have been busy looking at potential bathroom fixtures from Watermarks which will end up in the #TheGreyHouseBuild, so nailing down the lighting is a huge part of designing a bathroom! This Lucent orb sconce is so trendy but at the same time, it’s timeless with it’s gorgeous brass complexion. Would you use a set of these in your bathroom!?
In other news…
We have a driveway at #TheGreyHouseBuild and we are starting to dig the foundation out early this week!! Eeeeek I’m so excited to see all of our hard work fall into place 🙂
Any big plans for you this summer?
How much do you enjoy doing laundry!? Now there may be the odd person who enjoys it, and maybe, maybe that’s because you’ve got a pretty AWESOME laundry room to fold ALL the laundry… Well if this is true, sign me up!! If there is one thing I despise, its laundry. I hate scrubbing grass n’ dirt stained boy jeans, sorting all the laundry, washing, shaking and sorting the hung stuff, folding it all and putting it away! It’s such a 126900 step process and sometimes I mix the boys clothing up because they are basically the same size- yes, Max is a lil tank!
When we considered building, one of the first design inspirations that popped into my head immediately was the living room with a focal fireplace! I have always loved the idea of the whole family lingering around the kitchen and living room… Brent watching sports, the boys on the floor playing with their toys and myself in the kitchen cookin’ up something gooood! It was a vision I wanted to make a reality and to dig a little deeper, I have always admired built-in shelving around a fireplace with sleek sconces above. I love the idea of having shelving 1. because I’ve never had a legit shelving unit to style, unless you consider the little shelf unit in the boys bedroom full of books and toys. And 2. I love decor, I want to style it constantly and this is a great focal area to take advantage of!! But that’s not all I’ve been brewing up- I love a good ol’ built in bench loaded with stacked logs underneath to bring in that cozy feeling into our home 😉